What Is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes red, itchy scaly patches, most commonly on the knees, elbows, trunk and scalp.
What Causes Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is thought to be an immune system problem that causes the skin to regenerate at faster than normal rates. Just what causes the immune system to malfunction isn't entirely clear.
What Are the Symptoms of Psoriasis?
• Red patches of skin covered with thick, silvery scales
• Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
• Dry, cracked skin that may bleed or itch
• Itching, burning or soreness
• Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
• Swollen and stiff joints