1. In Chinese medicine, balance is considered imperative to health. When your reproductive hormones
are out of balance the ability
to conceive is impaired.
Stress is one of the main
contributors to hormonal
imbalance. It can result in the
production of prolactin which
can impede ovulation.
Acupuncture is an effective
treatment to help re-balance your hormones giving you improved chances of conceiving.
2. Digestion is the root of both energy and blood production for conception, so having a healthy diet, a healthy functioning gut and regular bowel movements is important. If you want to become pregnant you may want to reduce or eliminate damp foods like milk, yogurt, cheese and greasy foods. Avoid dampness in your living conditions where you can. Dampness can accumulate in the body & can cause blockages in the form of cysts & fibroids that can make getting pregnant more difficult.
3. Two common organ systems addressed in TCM are the lungs and liver. The liver is related to anger, frustration and stress. The Lungs are related to sadness, grief and holding on to old emotions that no longer serve us. These areas in the body are commonly found to hold stagnant Qi (energy). Acupuncture & TCM are effective treatments move stagnant Qi, improve circulation, strengthen organ systems and re-balance emotions. Yoga and meditation can also be great ways to relax the mind and body.
4. Make your body receptive to conception. Don’t over exert yourself. If you currently have an intensive exercise regime cut back a little or replace it with more gentle forms of exercise like yoga, pilates or qi gong. Studies have shown that intense exercise of over 4 hours per week can actually decrease fertility. Make time for yourself where you can to relax. Have fun and appreciate the small things in life. TCM has a holistic approach to health. Mind, body and emotional balance are interrelated and integral components of whole body health.
5. In Chinese medicine the lower abdomen stores what the Chinese call 'fire' or the 'energy battery' in the body. Some cases of infertility can be from 'cold' leading to stagnation in the uterus. Gently warming your abdomen during the time after your period until ovulation may be helpful. Use of a hot water bottle or moxibustion treatment can help warm up this area of the body.
6. Chinese herbs have been used for over 2500 years to help aid fertility. They are a natural, safe and gentle on the body. Unlike many pharmaceutical medications the body recognises them as natural substances, in the same way it would recognise a food type so they are easily accepted. by your body. They can help by supporting natural functions of the ovulation and fertility process.
7. A final and simple tip but one worth giving a little attention to is to be kind to yourself, be kind to your body and take time out for yourself when you need to.
For more information on how acupuncture and TCM can aid fertility visit here